Click here for the 2011 reunion pics!


Sep 23, 2009

Lloret 1958-60

Thanks to Tony out in Australia for sending these fascinating photos to publish.
He came across our site while he was searching for some info of Lloret back in the 50s & 60s, part of his email can be read at the bottom of this post. So in return for me trying to help find some information for him I asked if he would send some of his photos, the first of which are here. I thought it would be a good idea to first publish the ones which recall the journey Tony and his family had to endure to reach Lloret. First of all they flew from the UK to Perpignan, (no jets in those days!) pass through customs, then travel the rest of the way by bus. I should think the cost in those days would have been far more than it is now....even without Ryanair !




Tony's email....

Background first: my father was an exec with first Airwork, then Tradair, charter airlines that (among others) opened up the tourist trade from Southend into the Costa Brava. That meant that I spent many childhood holidays from the UK in Lloret when it was truly a fishing village.
We used to land at Perpignan, then bus over the border to Lloret. We routinely stayed at the original Costa Encantada, which was run (owned, I think) by the Drets family, headed by Antonio Drets. (I may have the spelling wrong.) I think he might have been mayor at some time, and I later heard stories about a scandal involving the family, but that may have been scuttlebutt. He had a family of all daughters – I can only recall the names Maia and Mercedes.
We used to walk from the hotel to the beach, through fields in which local farmers grew crops of peanuts. I have some photos – not many beyond close-ups of family members, but some capture the atmosphere of the place and the time. I also have one scrappy pic of the old hotel – and would love to see some better pics, if there are any. I find it hard to believe that no old tourism literature survives, but sadly the emails I’ve sent to the current hotel have been ignored, so either they have no information or don’t want to be connected with the old place. Perhaps you can help me there.

21 comments:

Shuggie said...

Love It
Aren't these photos great and just think of all the people who came after them..

Shuggie said...

Tony
Great photos.
It's amazing you live in Australia now, there are heaps of ex Lloret workers living down here, myself near Freo.
Hope you get all the info you need

Anonymous said...

Im Sure Frank Hart was the Guide on these coaches and went on to do beach parties along with Brian ..

frank said...

Ha ha ha Very goog Max if i remember right you where driving.I have to agree with Shuggie thay are smashing pictures

Anonymous said...

is that scoo at the back? of the coache

frank said...

hahahahahahahah it is Scooooo the noooo hahahah.Is that Max top right on the luggage rack

Anonymous said...

a shrink would have a field day with those last 2 posts.never laugh at your own jokes frank. especially ones in such poor taste.

frank said...

Such a SADO

Scoo said...

yes Frankie you are sad Max,s was in the boot

frank said...

Hi big fella. Liverpool where a bit jammy today i went to the game I had a look for you and wee Micky.Do you ever see that mate of Tommy (god love him ) and George's i cant remember his name he got one hell of a hammering and went home. Big fella he was.Oh by the way Scoo you know what i said was between good mates no bad taste intended .Some people just like to mess with this site.You will allway's get the SPINLESS TWAT that wont put there name on the page.I hope i see you next year pal if i get the house together.

Anonymous said...

Come on kids..........Jackie deserves better !.

Scoo said...

Jackie i do apologize for Frankie little out burst he,s Scottish but has agood heart.And Frank i think Micky has fell out with me or she told him to?

Anonymous said...

Wow Scoo and Frank yu aint changed still going at each other but with the utmost of respect .
Ahh I guess Mickey is under the thumb now ..

Unless people know u both they will not realise what nutters u both are . But I had the chance of working with you both ..
and God I hated the Muppet show we did when u use to beat the S**t out of me .. But the show went on .. Memories o memories .. Max pax Enanue

John said...

Max,remember Scoo setting you on fire and being left in the boot of the car after a staff jolly in Fenals,do you still have the cavemans club.
Max,your a Beach Party Legend.
John.

frank said...

God that muppet show How you ever survived that every day.

Scoo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scoo said...

Because we were to soft on him

Anonymous said...

Remember being left in the Boot of Boats Citreon .
Audrey went mad at him ..
Was in it for about 2 hours .. ..
Boats was a top man and it was him that got me out to spain and I owe him so much gratitude ..

John said...

Put your name on Max.

Anonymous said...

feelin guilty stanley? another show of devotion?

John said...

Max,you not got any fotos to put up,cant remember if you came over to Malgrat for the Cosmos Party Nights at Tropicana.