Click here for the 2011 reunion pics!


Oct 20, 2009

John McGuires Photos.


The 1st of Johns photos was taken taken in Western Saloon. With Johns 2nd photo he has a question............
"Now a query picture show a page in my old passport and shows an entrada and salida at Port Bou on the same day , I seem to remember we had to go out and back for some reason might have been to do with applying for a work permit?"

Could it be possibly anything to do with having to take a car out of the country? I seem to remember that back in the early days if you came over to Spain with a car it was only allowed to stay in the country for so long, otherwise you got a large fine for every day over the allowed time. So to avoid this most people just took them over the border to France and dumped them there, returning back to Spain in the same day.
Me and my husband were actually offered a car for free down in Torremolinos in 1976, just because the owner had to get it out of the country....could this have been the reason John?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No car involved Jackie (only mode of transport I had in those days was a moped that I paid 200ptas
for !) Thinking about it now I am almost sure we had to get an Entrada as Freddie Puigmarti was trying to make us legal workers, so had to go out then back in, I dont think we really wanted the Salida. But I could be wrong the old memory banks failing.
John McG

Anonymous said...

i did the same in 77/78 we needed the entrada stamp for work permits

John said...

Jimmy Rockefeller was big mates with the chief of police in those days,we just went to his office by appointment and he stamped our passports.I think n those days the visa was only vaild for 3 months,it was the same for cars as well maybe 6 months,I remember someone hideing his rolls royce in the hills in case the police spotted it and inbounded it because the visa had run out or could have been another reason,nod nod..John.

Linda said...

Me and sooty went up to Port Bou to get our passports stamped when we worked for Ted, packed suitcases like punters and off we went, had a great day out.

John said...

Is Sooty going to the reunion?