Click here for the 2011 reunion pics!


Feb 22, 2012

Old Scenes of Lloret

 I've received a very interesting email from Ray who sent in several photos a while ago, Ray used to work for Tony Batey and here is his story.....

"Thank you for passing on my information to Oscar Batey.  I have not heard back from Tony Batey yet but I notice that a web page now contains the historic photo of Tony, Eric, Maggie and myself that was taken shortly before Eric died on that very spot behind the bar of the Captain's Arms.   I should have mentioned before that I was Tony's first employee, hired in April 1963 for the opening of the Captain's Arms in Lloret.   Maggie was the second employee, hired about one month later.   I was due to open the bar at sunset but Eric had gone in earlier and was in the process of restocking the shelves to do me a favour, when he suffered a massive heart attack and died quickly (at age 35).   I will never forget the horse-drawn hearse with squeaking wheels (because of ungreased axles).   We all walked behind the hearse from the church to the cemetery with the priest in front, then all of the men and finally all of the women.   In our ignorance of local customs, we foreigners followed the grave diggers into the cemetery and witnessed the burial.   We should have gone no further than the cemetery gate.
In 1963 the English tour guides would meet at a bar-restaurant named "La Granja".   Above the doorway of "La Granja" hung a wooden sign reading "Afternoon tea.  Not made with tea bags".    It was common to hear tour guides agreeing to meet later at "not made with tea bags".
There were a lot of stray dogs roaming the streets of Lloret in 1963.   One day a council employee with a bugle did a poor imitation of a town crier.   In the main streets he stopped at every corner, made horrible noises on his bugle and then loudly read a proclamation about stray dogs being exterminated.   A couple of days later the hit squad came around with fatal injections and lots of dead dogs lay in the streets for hours before being carted away.   The English dog-lovers were appalled"
------------------------------------------------------------------------
 I'm sure there must be lots more similar stories out there, if any of you have a story you would like me to add to the blog for others to read then by all means send it in for me to publish. 
Now a few more photos which show how Lloret used to look before most of us were born! including one taken on Tossa de Mar beach showing an old woman doing her washing....no its not me before you ask!

Arial view of Fenals


Wash day on  the beach at Tossa.


1 comment:

Mariano said...

I like these storys,about the burial and the stray dogs,because bring me memories when I was a child,I saw it not very different,here in Zaragoza.